Quick chill tunnel
New Improved Aesthetic Design of the Quick Chill Tunnel with Improved Performance and Reduced Energy Consumption
DMRI has developed and launched a new aesthetic design concept for the quick chill process aimed to further improve the operation and the rentability of your next carcass chilling project.
We have introduced an intermediate deck in our tunnel design, which provides the tunnel with a more aesthetic appearance, less process room volume and easier access for service and regulation during operations than is the case for the present tunnel – all leading to a better economy.
The intermediate deck for improved air flow and cleanability ensures that:
- The technical installations are hidden.
- Unwanted recirculation of process air above the process cooling equipment is eliminated, and thus efficiency by forced and increased air velocity intensifies the heat transfer coefficient at the carcass surface.
- It is easier and faster to clean; thus, hygienic conditions are improved.
- The hygienic ceiling eliminates dripping from uncleaned surfaces.
Improved access to the mezzanine floor with catwalk for inspection and optimization of evaporator defrosting cycles
- Maintenance staff can access and closely inspect defrosting cycles as well as efficiency and – based on observations – adjust programming and the intervals for optimal defrosting. This is used to optimize performance on a regular basis and to enable adapting to e.g. increased slaughter speed. Without the mezzanine floor and catwalk, it is close to impossible to safely and thoroughly inspect the evaporators’ defrosting performance in a fully loaded tunnel by use of e.g. a ladder
- Optimal defrosting can reduce the electrical power consumption by more than 10% from the compressor and fans (~65,000 EUR/year) *
- Eliminating prolonged blockage/icing of evaporators can reduce the evaporative chill loss by more than 0.15% (resulting in savings of more than 180,000 EUR/year) *
*at 500 pigs/hour of 90 kg, 1 shift operation, 250 workdays/year and EU electricity prices.